Patrick Chu, PhD
Bibliographies on accent perception and adptation / L2 speech research
Below are some interesting papers in this area. The bibliography is still in development and we will be updating more papers here soon. If you know some papers in this area that I miss, please fill in the form below and tell me. Thanks. Please feel free to take a look at my research related to accent perception and adaptation as well.
- Melissa M. Baese-Berk, Ann R. Bradlow, and Beverly A. Wright. (2013). Accent-independent adaptation to foreign accented speech. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 133(3), EL174-EL180.
- Tessa Bent & Rachel Frush Holt. (2013). The influence of talker and foreign-accent variability onword identification. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 133 (3), 1677-1686.
- Alejandrina Cristia, Amanda Seidl, Charlotte Vaughn, Rachel Schmale, Ann Bradlow, & Caroline Floccia. (2012). Linguistic processing of accented speech across the lifespan. Frontiers in Psychology, 3. PMCID: PMC3492798
- Tanya Kraljic & Arthur G. Samuel. (2011). Perceptual learning evidence for contextually-specific representations. Cognition, 121, 459-465.
- Ann R. Bradlow & Tessa Bent. (2008) Perceptual adaptation to non-native speech. Cognition, 106, 707-729.
- Tessa Bent, Ann Bradlow, & Bruce Smith. (2008). Production and perception of temporal patterns in native and non-native speech, Phonetica, 65, 131-147.
- Ocke-Schwen Bohn, & Murray J. Munro (Eds.) (2007). Language Experience in Second Language Speech Learning: In honor of James E. Flege. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Susannah V. Levi, Stephen J. Winters, & David B. Pisoni. (2007) Speaker-independent factors affecting the perceptio of foreign accent in a second language. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 121(4), 2327-2338.
- Tanya Kraljic, & Arthur G. Samuel. (2006). How general is perceptual learning for speech? Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 13, 262-268.
- Tanya Kraljic & Arthur G. Samuel. (2005). Perceptual learning for speech: Is there a return to normal? Cognitive Psychology, 51,141-178.
- Shawn Aaron Weil (2003). The Impact of Perceptual Dissimilarity on the Perception of Foreign Accented Speech. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. The Ohio State University.
- Tracey M. Derwing, Rossiter, M. J., & Murray J. Munro (2002). Teaching native speakers to listen to foreign-accented speech. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 23, 245-259.
- Murray J. Munro & Tracey M. Derwing. (2001). Modelling perceptions of the comprehensibility and accentedness of L2 speech: The role of speaking rate. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 23, 451-468.
- Shawn Aaron Weil (2001). Foreign accented speech: Adaptation and Generalization. Unpublished MA Thesis. The Ohio State University.
- Murray J. Munro & Tracey M. Derwing. (1998). The effects of speaking rate on listener evaluations of native and foreign-accented speech. Language Learning, 48, 159-182.
- Murray J. Munro. (1998).The effects of noise on the intelligibility of foreign-accented speech. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 20, 139-154.
- Harriet S. Magen (1998). The perception of foreign accented speech. Journal of Phonetics, 26, 381-400.
- Tracey M. Derwing & Murray J. Munro. (1997). Accent, intelligibility, and comprehensibility: Evidence from four L1s. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 19, 1-16.
- Murray J. Munro. (1995). Non-segmental factors in foreign accent: Ratings of filtered speech. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 17, 17-34.
- James E. Flege, Murray J. Munro, & MacKay, I. R. A. (1995b). Factors affecting strength of perceived foreign accent in a second language. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 97, 3125-3134.
- Murray J. Munro & Tracey M. Derwing. (1995a). Foreign accent, comprehensibility, and intelligibility in the speech of second language learners. Language Learning , 45, 73-97.
- Murray J. Munro & Tracey M. Derwing. (1995b). Processing time, accent, and comprehensibility in the perception of foreign-accented speech. Language and Speech, 38, 289-306.
- Murray J. Munro & Tracey M. Derwing. (1994). Evaluations of foreign accent in extemporaneous and read material. Language Testing, 11, 253-266.